FASHION STYLING ASSISTANT 101

Posted by mickung



Hello everyone.
When I created this blog... It was created to blog all things fashion, and about my life as a fashion enthusiast/fashion stylist.
I got a mail recently that woke me up to the fact that even though I blog about my shoots... Some of y'all, aspiring fashion stylists still need to know the basics.
To me, assisting a fashion stylist is a better way of learning the whole art. I have assisted many fashion stylists and I must confess that I have learnt a lot from them. Many assistants make a lot of mistakes when it comes to assisting the fashion stylist, so I am here to give you the basics.


  1. *Drop that designer bag and 6-inch heels at home... Its major work and not a fashion parade. You spend all day at a shoot on your feet.. Looking pretty isn't the main priority, Getting the job done is..! Carry your sling bags or fanny pack and wear comfortable shoes or sandals.
  2. *always watch the fashion stylist closely... The way she steams the clothes, the way she works the pins, the way she pairs the outfit together.. If you are lucky, you get to read her styling memopad. This will come in handy when u get to style your own shoot.
  3. *holding the photographer's reflector is gonna be part of your job, at either one shoot or the other. I have a PH.D in the art of holding reflectors. *chuckles*
  4. *you should have your own stylist kit, even though the Head Stylist has hers. It paints you as a serious minded person and to be honest, who goes to a battle field without a sword.? :D
  5. *you get to dress and undress the model. You are an assistant, so your view doesn’t really matter. Hang it neatly back on the racks. Keep quiet and listen to every thing the Fashion Stylist says. Wanna chip in something?? Good... Do it politely and never make it look like what she has styled is wrong.
  6. *major distractions should be avoided. That phone call, that candy in your bag, you wanna tweet something? upload a quick picture on facebook?? OH YOU FANCY, HUH?  Don't be distracted!! Face the shoot.!
  7. *taping shoes is an art.! I'd probably have to come back and explain this with pictures in my next "fashion Assistant styling 101" post. But hey, assistants tape the shoes.
  8. *Every designer piece used at a shoot should be like Gold to you. Prevent makeup stains and creases. Hang it gently back on the rack.
  9. *the final return of designer pieces is sometimes done by the head Stylist, but if you are asked to do it... Please always return it into safe hands. No third party.

That’s all. Any other question should be asked in the comment box or my mailbox.
Happy to answer any questions.
Toodles.
J